Today was the Vertical Kilometer at Transvulcania. The VK course starts at Tazacorte and ascends the steep cliff from the sea front for 6.6km on a single track with 40% incline. The course slightly flattens out to finish at 1,160m with an average incline of 30%.
I was at the foot of the cliff face and it sure looks steep. A zig zag set of bends gradually winds its way up over 200m straight. Think really steep switch backs and you are there.
I drove up to just past the half way mark and positioned on the climb probably at about 700m. From here you could see the racers flying down a short steep downhill before hitting a good sustained climb. Plenty of people out spectating and cheering on all the racers.
- 1st place – Bernard Dematteis – 47.23
- 2nd place – Martin Dematteis – 48.26
- 3rd place – Kilian Jornet – 49.33
- 1st place – Elisa Desco – 59.43
- 2nd place – Laura Orgue – 1.01.10
- 3rd place – Azara Garcia de los Salmones – 1.01.42
All images are copyright – Ian Campbell – Photography