Zegama is the first of the 2014 Sky Running Series and second race of the Sky World Series, the last being Transvulcania.
Zegama takes place on May 25th and is marathon distance. Just saying it is of marathon distance doesn’t really do the race justice. Lets look at some of the statistics of this race:
- Distance : 42.195km
- Vertical ascent : 5,472m
- Max Altitude : 1,551m
- Min Altitude : 296m
- Technicality : 70%
- Mountain route with potential for heat, strong winds, fog or rain.
Compare that to Transvulcania which had 4,415m of vertical ascent in its 73km and you suddenly see how tough this race is going to be coming just two weeks after TV. Starting in Zegama the runners have an approx 17km sustained climb to Aratz at 1,400m, a short descent of about 4km to drop down 400m and then a steep climb of 500m+ in about 2km to Aikzorri the highest point of the course. From there its mostly downhill for 19km to the finish with a short climb to Andraitz at 1,400m thrown in for good measure. A tough course compounded by the fact that shoe choice will be paramount. Back in 2012 several of the American runners made the wrong shoe choice and paid for it when they hit the muddy climbs of Zegama!
- 3 hours, 54 minutes, 18 seconds (Rob Jebb).
- 4 hours, 38 minutes, 19 seconds (Emanuela Brizio).
This is a tricky technical route across the mountains of the Aratz massif and the Sierra of Aizkorri. The last two years the mens race has been between Kilian Jornet and Luis Hernando with Kilian coming out on top twice with last years race right down to the wire and 12 seconds!
Luis Hernando is just fresh from his victory at Transvulcania reversing the prior years race and beating Kilian. He looked in super form, can he carry he it through to Zegama or will Kilian regain his superiority and take out the win?
2013 Race results
1. Kilian Jornet (Salomon Santiveri) – 3h54’38” – only 20 seconds off the course record !
2. Luis Alberto Hernando (adidas) – 3h54’50”
3. Tadei Pivk (Crazy Idea) – 3h58’07”
1. Emelie Forsberg (Salomon) – 4h48’12”
2. Nuria Picas (FEEC) – 4h49’55”
3. Stevie Kremer (Salomon Agisko) – 4h49’58”
2012 Race results
1. Kilian Jornet (Salomon Santiveri) – 3h56’04”
2. Luis Alberto Hernando (adidas) – 4h00’40”
3. Tom Owens (Salomon) – 4h06’05”
1. Oihana Kortazar Aranzeta (Salomon) – 4h52’30”
2. Nuria Picas (FEEC) – 5h01’26”
3. Emelie Forsberg (Salomon) – 5h01’57”
We will look at the confirmed entrants once they are confirmed.
Footnote : Kilian Jornet has always run this race in under 4 hours. Why would 2014 be any different?
- 2013 – 3h 54′
- 2012 – 3h 56′
- 2011 – 3h 57′
- 2010 – 3h 56′
- 2009 – did not compete
- 2008 – 3h 59′